Here are some fun facts about swimming pools to help get you ready for summer!1. The oldest known swimming pool is in Pakistan. The world’s oldest known swimming pool is The Great Bath, located in Mohenjo-Daro, Pakistan. Situated amongst the ruins of the ancient Indus Valley Civilization, this pool is estimated to date all the way back to the 3rd millennium BC.
2. An Olympic-sized pool can hold up to 850,000 gallons of water. Olympic-sized pools are always 50 meters long, but they can have widths of either 25 yards or 25 meters. That’s enough water to fill more than 9,400 bathtubs!
3. Swimming is one of the best forms of exercise. It’s a great cardiovascular workout, strengthening both the heart and the lungs. Burning more calories than walking or biking, swimming uses every major muscle group in the body, making it an ideal activity to keep you in shape.
4.The United States has an estimated 10.4 million residential swimming pools. Additionally, there are approximately 309,000 public swimming pools. This means that the U.S. has about one pool for every 31 people!
5. Half of Americans can’t swim or perform basic safety skills. According to a survey conducted by the Red Cross, more than 50% of Americans either can’t swim or don’t contain basic “water competency” skills. With eight out of 10 Americans planning to swim in the pool or beach this summer, enrolling your children in swim lessons or safety courses becomes critical.
6. Chlorine can kill bacteria, such as E. coli, in as little as one minute. But, it can’t kill all illness-causing germs that quickly. Other viruses and parasites can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 10 days to be eradicated. To avoid acquiring a recreational water illness, make sure to regularly check your chlorine and pH levels.
7. The largest swimming pool in the world is in Chile. In Algarroba, Chile, the San Alfonso del Mar resort is home to the world’s largest swimming pool. A Guinness Book of World Records holder, the pool has an area of 19.77 acres and can hold 66 million gallons of water.
With these fun facts your summer pool party is sure to be a hit! While we may not have the largest pool in the world, we'll be able help find what you're looking for!